Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Boulder-us

Headin out to Boulder, CO tomorrow....I used to live there! It will be a nice trip reconnecting with friends and perforing a birthday party on Saturday. I had a very nice life in Boulder, I'm sure it's not hard to imagine. I had a nice apt. on Pearl street and Folsom with a view of the Flatirons. I worked two blocks away for Alternative Radio, and dj-ed at KGNU, which at the time was also about two bocks away. My gym was about 1/2 mile away, my PO Box about 5 blocks away, and I would ride my bike or walk around these places. The best was that I took tap dancing classes once a week up Pearl street (the studio is no longer there) and go see shows at the Fox Theater on the weekend. Often, in the winter, I'd do a 1/2 day skiing up at Eldora, and come back down to work in the afternoon. Like I said, very nice living.

Then one day, I realized I was missing someting. It was like I had accomplished all that I needed to in my time in Boulder, and that I needed to go find my muse, but it would be somewhere else. And suddenly, I was in U-haul truck driving accross the country on acid with two friends to help to New Orleans. That was it! I moved in July 1st, the hottest day down there, and we were sweating so bad (the apt. was on the 2nd floor) that I felt like an extra in a Rocky movie. For days, I would wake up and think I was still in Boulder, or not even know where the hell I was...it was a traumatic change, but one that was perhaps the best I had ever done.

It is hard to let go of what is comfortable and warm. It is so difficult to leave all that you have built up to start over somewhere else. It is a challenege of unbelieveble means. My change was by choice becasue I felt like I needed to go and continue my journey. However, when I think of all the people who were forced to leave because of the hurricanes, my heart breaks at the thought of their struggle to overcome the difficulties and hardships that the demanding challenge was brought upon them.